Which etiquette-forms and manners do I use in Turkey?
Turkey is a traditional country in general, but in Eastern Turkey its traditional than in West Turkey. Moreover, there is a big difference in ways between the countryside and the city. People live much more freely in the western-oriented coastal towns
ILBE.BE gives you the following things to take into account:
• Avoid topics such as the army, religion minority issues such as Kurds and criticism of Turkey itself
• In the public park, making love and kissing in Muslims is perceived as inappropriate
• Toothpicks should only be used by hand in front of your mouth
• Turks tend to ask you for a drink. It is also considered as rude if you refuse this hospitality.
• In the southeast and in the villages, usually only the head of the family (the man) gives you a hand. The woman will usually stay in the background. Do not force this further.
• If you are going to visit a Turkish family, you must take off your shoes when you enter the house
You may also like
Five strategies for holiday expat bookings
Whether you want to expatriate, retire, open up a business or want to buy a second home, we will help you go through all necessary steps to get there.Read more
How can I open a bank account in Turkey?
Most banks in Turkey offer a choice of accounts that meet customer needs and offer a wide range of services.Read more
I am moving abroad: what relocation costs can I have?
Few people make the decision to take their own furniture abroad. But if you are planning to move abroad permanently, it might be better to bring your own goods for a moreRead more